Long summer days are here and I, for one, am so happy about that! There is so much I love about summer. From late night swims with friends to vacations…it is definitely my favorite season. Our family is serious about making memories, getting rest and having fun! We make sacrifices all year in order for us to afford vacations and long weekends away. Getting away is something we NEVER regret! I encourage you to take a trip. Whether it is an hour car-ride away or an overnight flight, it is something that will stay with you for a lifetime. It may be too late to plan a trip this year, but I want you to check out this blog I found on saving money for a vacation. I hope it helps you start saving right now so you can begin to plan your adventure for 2019!
A trip away may not be in your near future, but there are TONS of things you can do right here in your own backyard! With a little help from my seven-year-old son, Carson, we have put together a summer bucket list.
1. Check out the Missouri Botanical Garden. From free concerts to special exhibits, there is always something going on at MBG. Kids and adults alike will enjoy the beautiful gardens and special events MBG has to offer.
2. Go to a drive-in movie. This is one of my favorite ways to see a movie. Pack some comfy chairs and yummy snacks and settle in for a double feature at Skyview Drive-in in Belleville, Il. It is just $11 to see 2 movies and with each adult ticket purchased, 2 kids (under 12) are free!
3. City Museum: You may be familiar with this iconic STL museum, but who doesn’t love to climb on airplanes suspended in the air and go down 10-story slides?!
4. If climbing on repurposed architecture is not your thing there are several other museums you can check out! I can’t wait to visit “Sunken Cities: Egypt’s Lost Worlds” at the STL Art Museum. The hubby and I tried to visit it when it first opened and it was sold out. I suggest buying your tickets ahead of time here. On Fridays, you can get up to 6 free tickets, just make sure you arrive early!
4. Experience a new view of the city by taking a helicopter ride! Click here for more info.
5. If you are like most who are native to St. Louis you either have not been up in the Arch or, if you are like me, you have not been up in a very long time! The Arch and its grounds have been under renovation and are due to open in July. With new beautiful walkways and an updated museum, you are going to want to check out this iconic landmark. Click here to learn more.
6. Elephant Rock State Park: Carson loves to climb the rocks and explore this unique state park located approx. 1.5 hours from St. Louis. There is also a paved walkway making this a great adventure for all visitors! We always like to stop at the Old Village Mercantile in Caledonia on the way home to pick up a coffee and some old-fashioned candy. They also have 24 different flavors of Amish-made fudge! YUM!
7. Have fun at home: Bust out a good old-fashioned sprinkler or camp out in your backyard! No matter where you are or what your budget is you can make memories to last a lifetime!
The list above could have gone on forever! We are incredibly blessed to have so many things to do in our area! Whether you enjoy a staycation this year or go off on a vacation I encourage you to be intentional about making memories. You won’t regret going on new adventures with your family and friends.
I want to hear from you and see your pictures! Please share your adventures and ideas with us to let us know what is on your summer bucket list. Post to Facebook & Instagram using the Hashtag #FCCSummer.